Create stunning videos with this free editor
OpenShot is one of the leading video editors for Windows PCs. The free program is ideal for beginners, and lets you understand the intricacies of video editing without much effort. While the ‘simple view’ is good for beginners, experienced professionals can access the ‘advanced view’ for more functionalities. With a single-click operation, OpenShot lets you import multimedia files from the PC’s hard drive.
Compared to HitFilm Pro, Lightworks, and Shotcut, OpenShot download comes with a simple interface. The program offers multiple video editing features, including sound stripping, 3D effects, slow motion, layers, transitions, and more. Additionally, the program lets you extract the audio to create engaging podcasts. For content creators, professional video editors, podcasters, and other experts in the field, OpenShot is an excellent choice.
A free video editor for Windows PCs
OpenShot is a free, open-source video editing tool for Windows computers. The program aims to help beginners learn everything about editing, and offers a simple interface to create content. With the program’s intuitive interface and drag-and-drop functionality, you can instantly get started. The popular video editing application is one of the most efficient ways to cut, trim, and edit your videos on Windows laptops or desktops.
What are the features?
The multimedia software features a comprehensive video effects engine, slow motion, 3D animations, time effects, and virtually unlimited tracks. This lets you work on many different kinds of projects. In addition to this, you can view audio files as waveforms, giving you a better understanding of your creations. Currently, OpenShot is available in more than 70 languages, and thus, is being used around the world.
What about animations?
With this video editor, you get access to basic animation frameworks, which enable any object or text in the video to bounce, slide, animate, and fade. This results in professionally rendered 3D animated effects and titles, including flying text, lens flares, and snow. With OpenShot, you can integrate a powerful animation app called Blender, which gives access to even more animated titles.
How to use OpenShot for editing?
With this free video editing program, you can create or edit videos with just a few steps:
- Import the files from your hard drive or an external disk. To start working with files, import them into the app’s ‘Project Files’ section. As mentioned earlier, the drag-and-drop mechanism lets you start making edits almost instantly.
- Arrange the contents on the program’s ‘Timeline’. Drag a specific piece of content and organize it as per the sequence. The multimedia software automatically creates a fade transition for each content in the sequence. This makes your creation look more professional, crisp, clear, and sharp, thereby improving the production quality.
- If you want to make the project more fun, entertaining, and interactive, you can add music to your creations. It’s important to understand that the timelines for music and video files are distinct from each other. While the lower section in OpenShot is intended for music, the upper part can be used to work on videos.
- Preview the music and video. This gives you a good idea about certain aspects of the project. You can conveniently click the ‘Play’ button below the app’s preview window. Since OpenShot comes with a simple interface, everything is properly organized in large-sized icons.
- If you’re satisfied with the preview, you can immediately extract the video file. In the app’s main interface, click the red circle and you’re good to go. The video editing app features multiple preset export options. After choosing one, click the ‘Export Video’ option to start the process.
Are there any drawbacks?
Unlike some other programs, OpenShot lacks some details. The application doesn't perform well for heavy audio editing or color correction, thereby requiring you to look for other apps. Having said that, if you’re looking for a program with an intuitive interface, properly organized categories, and endless tracks, OpenShot proves to be a decent choice.
Should you download OpenShot?
OpenShot is one of the most popular video editors for Windows computers. While this multimedia software doesn’t offer as much detailing and precision as premium tools like Adobe Premiere Pro, it supports a range of capabilities and functionalities.
If you’re a beginner in this field, the program is highly recommended. The tool is an ideal introduction to the vast world of video editing. It allows you to work on high-quality videos in an efficient and easy manner. With OpenShot you can create attention-grabbing effects, transitions, and animations.
An easy-to-use, free, and simple video editor
OpenShot has become a leading choice among free video editors as it can be used on multiple platforms to create stunning videos. With this application, you can edit numerous multimedia files in multiple formats, and the simple interface allows you to extract or add audio files easily.
The free video editing tool offers various transitions and music options. As such, you can create a varied range of content. As this is a beginner-friendly program, it comes with multiple features aiming to simplify the user experience. For instance, the application has customizable hotkeys, making it easier to access frequently-used features. Overall, despite the minor shortcomings, OpenShot is an excellent choice among videos editors for Windows.